Tags

Personal (16) Rving (8)

Wednesday, December 31, 2014

My 2014 Reading List

Happy New Year's!

As we reach the end of 2014, I wanted to share with you all the books I've read this past year. 52 books! I have to say I'm actually really impressed with myself, I didn't have a goal when I started this list,  I just wanted to keep a list and see what happened.

 For a while I was reading 5 books a month, and then adventures began and that number slowed down a lot as life began to take precedence.

Looking back now I see how many fantasy novels I read and audiobooks I listened to at the beginning of the year, when we still lived in sticks and bricks as we were packing up the house. I kind of wish I had more classics and other "important" sounding books on that list to be perfectly honest. Though a lot of those (books by Michael Scott, John Flanagan, and John Grisham) I read together with my brother, Thane, inspiring lots of bookclubing and fun, which was most definitely worth it.

The works of the incredible Tamora Pierce kept me moving, relaxed and happy while packing, cleaning, organizing, and everything that goes into redecorating a new home and moving out of an old one (second-or-third time through her Tortall books.)
I have discovered some of my new favorite books this year; Traveling With Pomegranates, The Secret Life of Bees, Little Women, A Year in Provence, The Tenth Gift, Louisiana Longshot, Northanger Abbey,  Chocolat, and Eat, Pray, Love. I HIGHLY recommend all of them. The last one was a particular favorite, it was so inspiring and gave me so much to think about; about self-love, love for others, discovering yourself, so much love! It was incredible!

Cold Sassy Tree introduced me to the wonders of literature and the range of emotions a story can make you feel for the first time. It's got me eager to read more classic lit, and we've got a brand new pile of classics to get through.

So with that said, Here's my 2014 book list:

1. The Wedding Cake Girl by Anne Pfeffer                   (January) (Fiction)

2. Assassin's Apprentice by Robin Hobb                       (January) (Audiobook)

3. The Alchemyst by Michael Scott                                (January) (Fantasy)

4. Traveling with Pomegranates  by Sun Monk Kidd     (January) (Non-Fiction)

5. The Secret Life Of Bees by Sue Monk Kidd               (January) (Fiction)

6. The Magician by Michael Scott                                  (February) (Fantasy)

7. Royal Assassin by Robin Hobb                                   (February) (Audiobook)

8. The Sorceress by Michael Scott                                 (February) (Fantasy)

9. The Ruins of Gorlan by John Flanagan                      (February) (Fantasy)

10.The Camerons by Robert Crichton                            (February) (Classic)

11. Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen                             (March) (Fiction)

12. The Burning Bridge by John Flanagan                      (March) (Fantasy)

13. The Necromancer by Michael Scott                           (March) (Fantasy)

14. The Warlock by Michael Scott                                    (March) (Fantasy)

15. Theodore Boone: Kid Lawyer by John Grisham         (March) (Fiction)

16. Theodore Boone: Abduction by John Grisham           (March) (Fiction)

17. Little Women by Louisa May Alcot                              (March) (Classic)

18. Theodore Boone: The Accused by John Grisham      (March) (Fiction)

19. Theodore Boon: The Activist by John Grisham           (March) (Fiction)

20. A Year in Provence by Peter Mayle                             (April) (Non-Fiction)

21. Alanna the First Adventure by Tamora Pierce             (April) (Audiobook)

22. In The Hand of Goddess by Tamora Pierce                 (April) (Audiobook)

23. The Tenth Gift by Jane Johnson                                  (April) (Fiction)

24. The Woman Who Rides Like Man by Tamora Pierce    (May) (Audiobook)

25. The Shattered Chain by Marion Zimmer Bradley         (May) (Fantasy)

26. Lioness Rampart by Tamora Pierce                            (May) (Audiobook)

27. The First Test by Tamora Pierce                                 (May) (Audiobook)

28. Thendara House by Marion Zimmer Bradley               (May) (Fantasy)

29. Page by Tamora Pierce                                                (May) Audiobook)

30. City of Sorcery by Marion Zimmer Bradley                  (May) (Fantasy)

31. Squire by Tamora Pierce                                             (May) (Audiobook)

32. Louisiana Longshot by Jana Deleon                            (May) (Cozy Mystery)

33. Lady Knight by Tamora Pierce                                     (May) (Audiobook)  

34. Trickster's Choice by Tamora Pierce                           (June) (Audiobook)

35. Trouble in Mudbug by Jana Delon                               (June) (Cozy Mystery)

36. Trickster's Queen by Tamora Pierce                           (June) (Audiobook)

37. Death comes to Pemberly by P.D. James                   (June) (Fiction)

38. Northanger Abbey by Jane Austen                             (July) (Classic)

39. Terrier by Tamora Pierce                                           (August) (Audiobook)

40. Chocolat by Joanne                                                    (August) (Fiction)

41. Dragon Prince by Melanie Rawn                                (September) (Fantasty)

42. Bloodhound by Tamora Pierce                                  (September) (Audiobook)

43. Mockingjay by Suzanne Collins                                 (September) (Fiction)

44. Wyrd Sisters by Terry Pratchett                                  (October) (Fantasy)

45. Helen of Troy by Margaret George                            (November) (Fiction)

46. The House on Tradd Street by Karen White              (November) (Fiction)

47. The Girl on Legare Street by Karen White                 (December ) (Fiction)

48. The Spymistress by Jennifer Chiaverini                          (December) (Historical Fiction)

49. The Blood of Olympus by Rick Riordan                      (December) (Fantasy)


50. Cold Sassy Tree by Olive Ann Bums                        (December) (Classic)

51. Eat, Pray, Love by Elizabeth Gilbert                         (December) (Non-Fiction)

* 51-1/2. Elizabeth of York: A Tudor Queen and her World by Alison Weir (Historical Non-Fiction)

* 52. Botany of Desire by Michel Pollen (Non-Fiction)

**I'm about half way through these two books. I've been reading them since around July-ish. They've taken me months to get through as they are very dense. In the best way possible, they're both absolutely FASCINATING. So I thought putting two halves together, especially with them not being beach reads, that they can count as one whole.


This next year I doubt I'll reach 50 books again, since we're full time travelers now, but who knows? Maybe! We've got a lot of month-long stays planned, lots of reading to be done!

I don't make New Year's resolutions, it's just not my time to create goals. If I make resolutions it's either on my birthday (which is like my personal new year) or in the middle of the night when I have all those deep, life- changing thoughts. Bit IF I DID, it would be to add more classics into my life. I've also just discovered sonnets soooo. . .


I wish you all happy readings this new year, along with plenty of love, happiness, surprises, and all of your favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment