Tags

Personal (16) Rving (8)

Tuesday, November 18, 2014

This Is Not A Review. Maybe.

So I just finished reading Helen Of Troy by Margret George, which, unsurprisingly, is about Helen of Troy. 
It's the story of the Trojan War from Helen's point of view, from her childhood to her return to Troy years after the war, and it gives you so much to think about, like how Helen is in big trouble and a long list of nasty names for doing it with another man, but none of the named and nameless Greek warriors get in trouble for all the women they slept with while they're away from their wives. The irony is ridiculous.
I was never a huge fan of the Iliad (I'm an Odyssey girl); I mean the Greeks are all a bunch of whiny, unfaithful brats who sit around for 10 years, kidnap women, sulk, then sneak in and smash a whole bunch of stuff. B O R I N G. The Odyssey is way more fun; magical creatures, transformation, riddles, underworld adventures, disguises, wit. 

Reading the story from Helen's point of view was WAY more interesting. You got to know all the characters more and you got to know the Trojans and their side of the story, which isn't usually told. The Greeks are the bad guys, from this side of the Trojan walls. 
 I spent all of yesterday reading the end. I haven't gotten so involved in a book like that in what feels like a long time, where I couldn't stop reading.  It was wonderful! Though  (spoiler alert!) a very sad ending, since most of the characters you get to know are Trojans and well . . . Also Greek Gods are jerks. We all already know this but I mean what could be worse than to be desperately in love with a teenage boy who you're like 10 years older than? Poor Helen. 


 I read Margret George's book about Mary, Queen of Scots a few months ago and really loved it.  It was super long but one of the better historical fictions I've read, I felt so much better acquainted with that time in history. I'm dying to read her book about Cleopatra, which I know is going to be wonderful! Reading about famous women in history from their point of view is one of my favorite things in the whole wide world.  I'm thinking of starting a book about the Civil War that Mom has started, since we're in the heart of the civil war area this month. Now that we're settled in one place for the winter all I want to do is read books all day. Which is all I intend to do, to be honest. 

No comments:

Post a Comment